Two Rivers United Methodist Church is located at 1820, 5th Avenue in downtown Rock Island. For over a century, Two Rivers Church was known simply as “First Church,” because it was the first church in the Quad Cities. The current building was dedicated in 1890. Today, Two Rivers Church serves the entire Quad City Area.
- 1833: Organized as a mission church, renamed in 1836 as First Methodist Episcopal Church at Spencer cabin
- 1835: The City of Rock Island was established, although it was first known as Stephenson. It was renamed Rock Island in 1841.*
- 1844: Built first church
- 1856: Built second church
- 1889: Built present stone church, dedicating it 1890
- 1939: Changed name to First Methodist Church
- 1964: Bought Camp Milan from Central Illinois Conference for $1
- 2008: Merged with New Heights UMC and became Two Rivers United Methodist Church.
- 2013: Two Rivers United Methodist Church Celebrated 180 years!