WORSHIP TIME: 9:30 a.m. on Sundays.
MEAL SITE: 12:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
PASTOR: Rev. Robb McCoy
For over a century, Two Rivers Church was known simply as “First Church,” because it was the first church in the Quad Cities. The current building was dedicated in 1890. Today, Two Rivers Church serves the entire Quad City Area.
If you come to worship this Sunday, you will find a casual traditional worship. You may sit in the round tables in the sanctuary or among the wooden pews. Either way, you can enjoy a cup of Fair Trade coffee and an activity bag for kids. We will probably sing traditional hymns. The sermon will be thought-provoking, challenging, and seeped in modern scholarship. There will be a time for children to come forward to share a more intimate moment. There is also a professionally staffed nursery. After worship (which usually lasts about an hour), there are treats and time for fellowship. Adults and kids can also go to small groups for an education hour.
Two Rivers Church is a congregation of the United Methodist Church, the second largest Protestant denomination in the world. The symbol of United Methodism, the Cross and the Flame, represents the power of the Holy Spirit. The two parts of the flame represent two pre-existing denominations, the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Evangelical United Brethren, that merged in 1968.
Within the worldwide church, Two Rivers is a part of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference. This is a geographic region that includes the southern two-thirds of Illinois.
Two Rivers is also a member of Churches United of the Quad City Area. This is a cooperative association of136+ churches representing 20+ Christian Faith traditions in the greater Quad Cities area. The ministries of Churches United include: 25 food pantries, 3 hot meal sites, Winnie’s Place, a shelter for women, with or without children who are homeless and/or victims of domestic violence, and Winnie’s Wishes, the resale shop whose proceeds directly benefit Winnie’s Place. The mission of Churches United of the Quad City Area is to Serve This Community, Revitalizs the Church, and Celebrate Christian Unity.
- 1833: Organized as a mission church, renamed in 1836 as First Methodist Episcopal Church at Spencer cabin
- 1835: The City of Rock Island was established, although it was first known as Stephenson. It was renamed Rock Island in 1841.*
- 1844: Built first church
- 1856: Built second church
- 1889: Built present stone church, dedicating it 1890
- 1939: Changed name to First Methodist Church
- 1964: Bought Camp Milan from Central Illinois Conference for $1
- 2008: Merged with New Heights UMC and became Two Rivers United Methodist Church.
- 2013: Two Rivers United Methodist Church Celebrated 180 years!